Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

2009: ATTENTION "WEST ENDERS:" CAN YOU ANSWER MARY BETH'S QUERY?

The recent graphic with photos of swimmers in the "Log Basin" area of Trenton elicited this email from Mary Beth from Richmond, Virginia:

**************

Mary Beth wrote:

Thank you for posting the interesting material. I used to ice skate 30+ years ago at what was called Loggy Basin at Stacy Park. What fond memories from when I was a young girl I wondered whether there is still ice skating that takes place there.

Mary Beth, Richmond, VA

***************

Many thanks to "Jay" for the following email relating to Mary Beth's query regarding skating and swimming on the log basin.

Jay wrote:
Tom,

Skating is prohibited at the "Loggie", with signs posted everywhere. In all my years, I do not think I have ever seen skating there. The city did redo the area a few years ago with new brickwork, statue and some benches. It actually is very nice.

Jay

===================

This post received from Sally Logan Gilman, February 5, 2009:

Hi Tom: I'm writing a quick note about "The Loggy.'' It was a favorite place to ice skate. It was a short walk from Carteret Avenue and was so shallow that it froze over quickly and was safe. We had a great time. I remember it foundly. I don't know whether they skate there now because I have been gone from Trenton for many years. Thanks again for all your wonderful work.

Sally Logan Gilman





2 comments:

Jay said...

Tom,

Skating is prohibited at the "Loggie", with signs posted everywhere. In all my years, I do not think I have ever seen skating there. The city did redo the area a few years ago with new brickwork, statue and some benches. It actually is very nice.

Jay

Anonymous said...

Going to Loggie to skate was one of our favorite pastimes. We had to have a parent take us in the evening as we were under 10 at the time and would not ride the bus after dark. I also remember taking the bus from Hamilton Ave and changing at State and Broad to go out to Loggie to skate during the day in the winter and to swim in the canal in the summer. There was a big tree right over the canal with a long rope and a tire tied to it that we all swung out and dropped into the canal from. This was in the 40s and 50s. Ice skating is a painful memory for me because I had to wear those darn leather ankle braces with the metal inserts on the side so I didn't skate on the side of my skates.