Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

1935: Fire at Hamilton's Pocono Rubber Factory

I must admit that in all of my many years of researching local history, I had never heard of the Pocono Rubber Company. I will see if I can find a reference to it in one of my Trenton City Directories. The Boys at Hamilton Fire Company along with Enterprise battled the fire for over six hours. I note that among the injured in the fire was Walter Guy. I'm sure he is related to Dick Guy, "little brother" of my long time friend in the ball and roller bearing business, Bill Guy.
It is sheer speculation on my part, but I would bet that the Pocono Rubber Company was located on the same spot as the Nearpara Rubber Company.

2 comments:

Chuck Prince said...

Hey Tom;
While going through some of the old posts I came across this one about the Pocono Rubber Co. The facility was located at 1936 East State St just past the Hamilton Fire House.
Later on it was General Felt Industries and most recently Woodland Manufacturing, I remember while doing one of the fire inspections there looking up at the roof level in the back of the property facing the Railroad tracks and there was a sign made from tiles that said,
Pocono Rubber Company.
As you may recall a lot of the old factories along the tracks such as Thermoids had large signs facing the rails for advertisement.

Tom Glover said...

Many thanks for your interesting post, Chuck. I do indeed remember the signs along the mainline railroad tracks as the trains passed through Hamilton and Trenton. I will add that I had never heard of the Pocono Rubber Company until this article.