Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

1911: CIRCA 1911 PHOTO ST. JAMES P.E. CHURCH

BEFORE THEY MOVED INTO THIS BUILDING ON EAST STATE STREET NEAR GARFIELD, ST. JAMES HELD SERVICES AT "THE WIGWAM" ON EAST STATE STREET IN THE WILBUR SECTION OF TRENTON. BEFORE MOVING TO THE ALLENTOWN-HAMILTON BORDER, ST. JAMES WAS LOCATED ON GREENWOOD AND SO. LOGAN AVENUE. I WAS A PARISHIONER AT ST. JAMES WHEN I WAS A BOY. I CONVERTED TO ROMAN CATHOLIC FAITH IN THE EARLY 1960'S.THE BUILDING IN THE GRAPHIC STILL EXISTS, NOW THE HOME OF THE REHEBOTH CHURCH.

1 comment:

Capt Bob said...

If this is the same church I think it is it was between Cleveland Ave & Garfield Ave in the 1200 block of E. State Street. I lived in three house in this block between the late 30's and early 50's. When I lived there I think this church was Greek Catholic. I can remember looking in the basement windows with my friend watching the people dance when they had a wedding. I also remember a large tree in the church yard falling across State Street during a storm in the late forties 47-48.