Search This Blog

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Hamilton High We'll Serve You....


Here's an extract from a three part column I wrote many years ago, recalling the emotional rollercoaster I experienced on graduation night, 1951.
What pleasant memories I have for my school days! Whether remembering Kuser Grammar school or Hamilton High School, there is a strange, bittersweet aura that overcomes me when I think back on those years. The era in which I and my contemporaries grew up is in stark contrast to the society of today. Louise Baird, our vocal music teacher at Hamilton High School used to tell us that "Simplicity has charm." How true. I look back fondly on those years when girls wore dresses and exuded feminity, and boys attended school in "class A" dress with clean slacks and neckties. Unlike 2006 America, that four letter word was never heard from a girl, and in very limited occasions by boys. Back then, boys called the girl for a date. Today, the girls have become agressive to the degree that a girl will often call a boy. Am I an old fashioned "stick-in-the-mud" or what?

No comments: