Search This Blog

Sunday, March 26, 2006

2006: Louise S. Baird - Music Teacher Plus


The lady whose photo I am posting here is one of the teachers who changed my direction in life. As any Hamilton High School music student of that era will agree, "Ouise," as she was affectionately known, had the unique ability to make music a living and breathing addition to one's life. Coupled with her love of philosophy, Miss Louise Baird's students learned the militance of Wagner, the light hearted music of Gilbert and Sullivan, the beauty of Bach, Brahms, Beethoven, and Chopin. As an extra added feature, we were simultaneously treated to her philosophical wisdom. It was she who encouraged us to read Keats, Goethe, VanDyke and many other world famous thinkers. One of the MANY quotes she passed on to us was one I use to this day. "Though you travel the world over in search of the beautiful, you must carry it with you or you find it not." Recently, I winessed the musical capabilities of my Hamilton High School (West). I was delighted to see that Hamilton High School is carrying on the splendid vocal musical tradition of Louise Baird, thanks to the musical excellence of Ms. Sue Proulx. I hope students in all the contemporary schools are being subjected to music and culture.

No comments: