Search This Blog

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Colonial Fire Company: From Lorraine Feehan May

I recently posted a copy of a column I did a number of years ago which told the story of Hamilton's Colonial Fire Company. In response to the column, Ms. Lorraine Feehan May sent me this fascinating story of Colonial along with excellent historical information on the surrounding neighborhood. Thank you so much Lorraine! This information is really a wonderful addition to the COLONIAL VOLUNTEER FIRE CO. folder, and also to my website.

Lorraine writes:
My Father helped build Colonial Fire (the original) and my Mother was the first dispatcher. They built their house on Newkirk Avenue in 1922 on a lot that had been part of my Grandmother's farm. The farmhouse was on Liberty Street next to where Frese's store was. In the farmhouse lived my Grandmother Golden and Aunt Amelia Davison. Frese's store was owned by my Aunt Hannah and Uncle John Frese. Next to us on Newkirk was my Aunt Mary and Uncle Johnny Vaughn. Around the corner on Camp Avenue was my Uncle Bill and Aunt Lucy Golden. You must remember their son Bill Golden. He still lives on Camp in their original home. The lot next to them was to be for my Uncle Herman VonFelde but he died before ever building on it. All of our back yards were connected so we had an extended family while growing up.

I too have fond memories of Kuser School and the whole neighborhood. I think my sister still has a picture of Kuser before the roads were paved and will try to get it to you for your archives.

I am curious about the picture you had on display at the library of the old Hamilton Twp Police Station on Harrison Avenue and wondered if you had any names to go with it. The first patrolman on the left of the dignitaries when you're looking at the picture looks a great deal like my brother-in-law Darwin Kieffer (Bill) who was a patrolman back in the 50's. He retired as a Captain and still lives in Hamilton Twp. Any info you have would be appreciated.

No comments: