Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

1938: Lalor Trolley Barns Become a Skating Rink

How many viewers glided across the polished wooden floors of the Capitol Roller Rink with that special someone, skating to the "Skater's Waltz?" Here's an ad for "Skateland," a very popular place for the many roller skating enthusiasts in the area.

In the TROLLEYS/RAILROAD folder in the Hamilton Library's Local history collection, there is an old news photo showing the building when it was the "Lalor Street Car Barns." Today the building is occupied by a car wash and auto center.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I assume this is the Capitol Arena, as later known. It states that it had 44,000 feet of maple flooring for a skating area. Is that 44,000 sqft???

Tom Glover said...

Yes, anonymous. That was "Capitol Arena" on Lalor Street. I'm sorry I didn't mention that in my post. Another senior moment. As to the square footage of 44,000 feet vs. square feet, I have no idea.

Tom Glover