Search This Blog

Saturday, April 03, 2010

1954: BROMLEY: MY HOME FOR 56 YEARS

On April 24, 2010, Judy and I will celebrate 56 years of true marital bliss. Our very first apartment was at 212 "Fairlawn Gardens," on the north side of Greenwood and Massachusetts Avenues. Then it was into the U.S. Army as Glover, Thomas L. RA 12489163. Upon my discharge we took up residence at 212 Norman Court, Greenwood Village; and apartment we really loved. Then when it came time to bring up our family, we moved to our present home on Atlantic Avenue. 56 years can bring unbelievable changes, and indeed they did. In my opinion, Atlantic and Massachusetts Avenues are still among the prettiest streets in Hamilton. Both of them are on the plot of land occupied by Woodlawn Park back in the 20's and 30's. As part of the Revolutionary War Anderson Farm, there are still century old Oak trees that reach majestically to the sky. Two of them on Atlantic Avenue. The Bromley neighborhood has changed drastically in the past 40 or so years. "White flight" resulted in a multicultural change in the population. Most of the newcomers keep their homes in better conditon than those who chose to move to the more affluent suburbs of Briar Hill, Society Hill, Hamilton Square and other neighborhoods. I have come to love the Bromley where I have spent most of my adult life. I took the above photos
23 years ago as I sought to research some of the magnificent history of my neighborhood. My BROMLEY folder has much fascinating history, most of which has been ignored and overshadowed by the more "historically attractive"areas of the township.

I tried to access the Bromley Community improvement website, but after giving them all 3 of my email addresses I kept getting a message that none of the email addresses was valid. An attempt to rectify the situation with their authentication link was not help, so I re-registered and am awaiting approval.

No comments: