Search This Blog

Monday, April 20, 2009

1963: INDEPENDENCE MALL - IN THE BEGINNING

One of my favorite local malls, where I can find a fabulous "Dollar Store" where all things are actually one dollar, a Radio Shack, where I can always find various goodies for my mp3 player, computer accessories, a police scanner, electronic cables, and all kinds of great electronic products. Now for a sobering revelation: 1963 to 2009 = 46 years.
Can you believe that this relatively "new" mall will soon
celebrate a silver jubilee?

It seems like only yesterday that Don Slabicki, Jess Anderson and I stopped in at Gravatt's frozen custard stand for a large vanilla cone!

2 comments:

SJBill said...

Bring back Vic Rice's Golf Range! ;-)

Mack said...

I cant find a list of old
stores on the net for this
but here is stuff from from my memory:)

Dawsons, Big C, Murphys, Thift
Drug, Lombardo Music, The Pretzel
stand (dont remember its name).
The water fountain, The old
theatre ERIC TWIN, The old dance
place ELECTRIC PLAYGROUND, Dunhams,
Arthur Treachers Fish & Chips across the street. That building
that looked like a white mountain
was some sort of meat place in my
day and had the word ANGUS in its
title. There was a pizza place in
the mall too I forget its name.
Big C became Leonards. Big C
record department was Listening
Booth at one time I think.
They used to have 69 cents single
of the week in the 70s, got many
of those. Murphys had a place folks could eat, my Dad would go there while we would spend our allowence getting toys and records
and candy and charie brown books or mad magazines:)