Search This Blog

Thursday, November 20, 2008

1914: St. James' New Greenwood Avenue Church

This may have been posted a year or so ago, but I still find it to be a very interesting graphic. And to Alan Wildblood, there are relatives who probably would agree with me that "He or she who sings, prays twice." Naturally, with my father being a native of Great Britain, more specifically, Stoke-On-Trent, he brought with him the British tradition of the "High Episcopal" church. I was confirmed at St. Michael's in Trenton way back before I can remember, and I have an excellent memory. I subsequently attended St. James' P.E. Church back in the post war years when Rev. Minchin was the Pastor. The thing I recall most about St. James and the Episcopalians lies in the fact that unlike most Roman Catholic parishes I have attended since converting to the faith some 45 years ago, the Episcopalians like to sing; but more importantly sing hymns that everyone knows, and sung at a key that doesn't require a soprano or high tenor voice. I won't even try to count the number of times I, and numerous other male parishioners in nearby pews, sang along a full octave below the stratospheric music being played.

No comments: