Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

1917: SPRINGTIME COMES TO MERCER COUNTY AND THE DELWARE VALLEY

This delightful catalog page from the Trenton Evening Times of April 11, 1917 brings back many familiar memories of tools that I remember very well from my younger years. The push mower with the steel wheels with horizontal treads, the very common high sided wooden wheel barrow, and in the photo I also see the roller that my buddy Don Slabicki and I so often used to roll the Kuser tennis court. The article indicates it was full of water which could be drained, but I seem to recall that the Kuser tennis court roller was oil filled. A fascinating page from an era when Hamilton was largely open farm land.

1 comment:

Sally Logan Gilman said...

Hi Tom: A similar roller was used on the tennis courts at Cadwalader Park where we played. It was a block from my home on Carteret Ave. in West Trenton. The courts were rolled every morning. Thanks for the memory. Regards