This is a combination of a February 26, 1885 article on the "Union Library" which was once located where today's N.J. Bell Telephone building is on 20-22 East State Street. There were so many incredibly beautiful architectural structures in down town Trenton in the 19th and early 20th century, all of which gave up their beauty to "progress." The building was the headquarters of the WCTU
(Womens' Christian Temperance Union) and was one of the many local meeting places back in the 19th century and into the early 20th. The Trenton Free Public Library purchased most of the books and other memorabilia from the old Union Library and undoubtedly was one of the catalysts that began the incredible "Trentoniana" collection.