Search This Blog

Saturday, October 17, 2015

Circa 1900: THE MERCERVILLE ROADHOUSE

Today, this historic old tavern is known as "Bill's Olde Tavern." Back in the Late1800's and early 1900's it was known as the Mercerville Road House. Mercerville was originally known as Sandtown. George Washington marched from Trenton along today's Hamilton Avenue (then the Sandtown Road) on his way to the battle of Princeton. He never made it to the old tavern as his march veered to the north west (think Mercerville School area) thence to Quaker Bridge thence to Princeton. A note about this photo. Offset printing was in its early stages and most old news photos from this era where of poor quality; this one is relatively better than others from the era.

No comments: