Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 04, 2014

1930: PAWLUKEWICH'S GENERAL STORE



I have a special fondness for photos of the old "corner store," "general store," "and "grocery store" before they were run out of business by the excuse the expression, "convenience store." These folks were part of a vanishing era of Americana that is sadly missed these many years later. I never had the pleasure of attending the beautiful store in the graphic from Ms. Valerie Seefelt whose Dad's family owned the E. Trenton store on Klagg Avenue. However, I would bet that Mr. Pawlukewich had customers like the Glover family who were down on hard time during the depression and very generously and kindly kept a running log of money owed. Many never paid back the credit so generously extended by these wonderful people from the "Greatest Generation."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post...I am a family friend and am very pleased to see this picture. Thank you for your historical documentation.

Anonymous said...

Great picture! I am friends with his grandson. It is wonderful to get the opportunity to see these wonderful pictures of our past!

Anonymous said...

Thank you. This was my grandfather's store. I loved my pop so much. I remember going into the store with my mom and dad. I was the first born, so I was blessed to spend time with my grand parents. Thank you for posting my grandfathers store.

Tom Glover said...

Folks like these are the salt of the earth. Hard workers and wonderful citizens. Glad folks for your interesting comments;they certainly add to the historic credibility of a vanished past.
Tom

Valerie Pawlukewich Seefelt said...

Thank you Mr. Glover for featuring my grandfather's butcher/grocery store in your Hamilton Library Scrapbook, and for your thoughtful and endearing comments about his importance to the people in Trenton, NJ back in that era. My family and I feel very fortunate to know we have such an important connection to the city of Trenton, and you have validated that pride for us, thank you so much.