Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

1982: EVEN AFTER 32 YEARS, KUSER FARM IS STILL HOME


Those who have been following my writings over the past 30 plus years will recall that I have COUNTLESS memories of growing up with the Kusers from the age of 12 right up to the sad day when Edna and Fritz Kuser could no longer handle the responsibilities of managing that wonderful old homestead. My family's encounter with the Kusers began way back in 1938 when my older brother Bud began working for the Kusers as a young boy doing chores such as raking leaves, cleaning up fallen branches, and as he matured, painting, repairing, and ultimately becoming an operator of Fritz Kuser's "Simplex-Acme" portable 35 millimeter motion picture projectors. I followed in my brother's footsteps when Bud entered the Navy in World War II. After all these  years, Fritz and Edna Kuser's "Kuser Farm" is now known as Hamilton Township's "Kuser Farm Park." For me it has become a spiritual  getaway for me where every nook and cranny holds a memory. I will be ever grateful to my dear friend, the late Maurice "Maury" Perilli for counseling fellow Democrat Edna Kuser as to the best way to leave their beloved home to the area citizens as a park, and to former Mayor John "Jack" Rafferty for making it happen. Psychologically, I would assume that my devotion to this place is why I have been bringing my nostalgic music program to Kuser Park Gazebo each summer for the past 8 or 9 years. These musical presentations certainly do not draw standing room only crowds; no high profile local celebrities, no high profile politicians, just common folks such as I who are devotees of music from an era when music was music. At age 80 approaching 81, I don't know how much longer I will be able to maintain my singing voice, but I will go on until my vocal chords are no longer at my command.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom, I've always looked forward to the day when I'll be able to attend one of your concerts. I may come but only on the condition that you promise to sing my favorite old song, "Far, Far Away". :)

I hope you take that with the good old fashioned humor that I intended and commend you on maintaining a place in the world for all the things that are worth remembering.

Ed Millerick

Tom Glover said...

No offense taken, Ed. It has also been suggested that I sing solo. So low that no one can hear me. (Usually by those with the malady we singers call a "tin ear.")

Tom