Search This Blog

Thursday, May 16, 2013

1949: ROUTE 33 AT YARDVILLE-HAMILTON SQUARE ROAD (??)

 
I always tell the younger folks how many open farm fields there were back in the day. Huge farms sprawled all over Hamilton Township. These two photos are identical, except for the fact that I have enlarged and changed the focus in the top photo. I will ask for visitors to affirm my belief that this is the intersection of Yardville-Hamilton Square Road with Route 33. The area has built up so much in the ensuing years that I must admit, I wasn't really certain. My premise is based on the "Yardville" sign and the "Hamilton Square" sign located over the larger sign that points to Trenton.

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 3:43 PM, Zehape1@aol.com wrote: Tom,
 It looks more like Whitehorse Hamilton Square Rd and Rt 33. Building  on the left looks like Lockwood's Marine Service and building on the right could  be Veldof's. The houses just beyond Veldof's could be the ones on Herbert  Avenue.
 
Harry Z. 

Thanks Harry: I have made the change as above.

Tom

Hi Tom, I believe you were  right, from the beginning, on identifying the location of this photo. It is The Yardville Hamilton Square Rd. Check out the distance to Veldof's and Lockwoods. It is way too far in the distance to be the White Horse Hamilton Square Rd. On the right, there would be Patterson Chevrolet, then the intersection. Then, Hamilton Chrysler Plymouth, now closed, the car wash, the strip mall and , on the corner, the Citgo gas station. There is plenty of room on the left, for the Wells Fargo Bank, the intersection, and the whole shopping center. One other thing, I now know why that same 1941 Chevrolet Club Coupe is in so many of the photos, it is the photographers car! Ray Paszkiewicz


Harry, Based on Ray's comments above, I agree and I am going back to my original observation that this is the Yardville-Hamilton Square Road.
Tom 

2 comments:

RALPH LUCARELLA said...

HI TOM....THAT LOOKS LIKE THE AREA OF ROUTE 33 WHERE MY BROTHER LOU AND I BUILT THE HAMILTON BOWLING LANES IN 1954. I RECALL VELDOLFS DOWN THE ROAD AND WE WERE ACROSS FROM TONY CALS AND PATTERSON CHEVROLET. THE BUILDING BURNT DOWN SOMETIME IN THE 70'S, AFTER WE SOLD IT. THAT SURE WAS A BUSY TIME FOR ME. THANKS FOR THE MEMORY

RALPH LUCARELLA said...

SPECKING OF CHEVROLETS, I MIGHT ADD. WE GAVE A NEW CHEVY TO THE WINNER OF A SUMMER TOURNAMENT IN COOPORATION WUTH PATTERSON AT THE HAMILTON BOWLING LANES IN 1956. THE WINNER WAS GEORGE LAIRD AND THE TOURNAMENT WAS VERY SUCCESSFUL