Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

2013: MARCH 26 - MY COMPUTER CRASHED

I have been into computing since way back in the days of the IBM "XT" and "AT." I remember 286, 386 and 486 processors as well as outmoded "CPM" processors. All through those years I never experienced a computer crash like the one I experienced this morning when I turned the "ON" switch to the on position and the hard drive icon light blinked for a second and shut off. A letter "A" in the caps lock icon also blinked and I knew there was something wrong when the caps lock key didn't control the upper and lower caps function
After 4 and a half hours of doodling, I finally took the bottom off of my laptop and re-seated the memory card. Back in business, but somewhat behind in my posts. Bear with me.

3 comments:

RALPH LUCARELLA said...

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN TOM....I ONLY KNOW THE BASIC FUNCTIONS OF MY COMPUTER. MY SON GETS ALL THE CREDIT IN HANDLING THE PROBLEM THAT OCCUR EVERY TIME YOU TURN THESE THINGS ON. BEST REGARDS AND THANKS FOR YOUR GREAT EFFORTS.

SJBill said...

You are becoming a regular IT guy.
Geek Squad is looking for recruits, Tom.

Tom Glover said...

Bill, the problem was completely foreign to me. It turned out that the memory sticks were apparently jostled a bit and prevented the computer from booting. I took the bottom panel off, ejected the memory cards, wiped them clean, rebooted and voila! Normal start up. HOWEVER, IT TOOK ME ALL MORNING FROM 9 TO 1 PM TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM. I WAS WORRIED THAT THE HARD DRIVE DIED, OR THAT A NEW MOTHERBOARD WOULD BE NEEDED. This computer is a work horse with tons and tons of history related files and history related software. Thank you Jesus for bailing me out!

TOM