Search This Blog

Friday, March 08, 2013

1931-2013: THE EVOLUTION OF THE "SNEAKER:


FROM THE HAMILTON LIBRARY "NOSTALGIA" FOLDER:

"Pepsi Cola hits the spot, twelver full ounces, that's a lot,
Twice as much for a nickel, too, Pepsi Cola is the drink for you.."
Nickel candy bars, cigarettes for 10 cents a pack, a loaf of bread 12 cents
but more importantly to a boy from 1931, a pair of Miles "sneakers" for 44 cents!
Their every bit as good as Converse!

BY THE WAY: THE QUALITY ON THOSE "MILES" SNEAKERS WERE EVERY BIT AS QUALITY LADEN AS THE 2013 VERSION; THEY HAD TO BE. DURING THE
DEPRESSION 44 CENTS WAS A SIGNIFICAN SUM.

It seems that as I wrote this, I heard a number of my senior visitors singing that Pepsi jimgle.
Confess, old timers: I know it by heart and I sang it without missing a beat!

1 comment:

RALPH LUCARELLA said...

HI TOM....I CAN'T GET OVER THE PRICE OF WHAT WE USED TO CALL SNEAKS TODAY. SOME ARE WAY OVER A $100 AND ARE NOT THAT MUCH BETTER THAN THOSE WE BOUGHT FOR $2.00. IT'S ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF HOW MUCH BETTER WE HAD IT IN THE OLDEN DAYS. BEST REGARDS.NATTBRU N