Search This Blog

Saturday, February 16, 2013

1979: KUSER FARM: WAS MY HOME AWAY FROM HOME

My oldest brother the late Bud Glover began working at Kuser Farm in 1939. He went into the WWII navy and in 1945 I started working there with my best friend Don Slabicki. When we both married and had family responsibilities, my "little brother," Donny and his best friend Ken Slabicki took our places until the early  1960's when they also had family responsibilities. As you might imagine, my memories of my life and times working with Edna and Fritz Kuser will be with me forever. When the township took over the farm, I and brother Bud lectured on many evenings to the many local folks who were interested. When brother Bud passed away in December of 2012, I was the remaining "old timer" who remembered life at the farm. Former Mayor Glen Gilmore was very interested in having me lecture regarding my experiences of growing up at Kuser Farm, and also memories of the area as recalled by a now 80 year old native of Hamilton. Unfortunately, recent events at Kuser Farm Mansion have been seriously curtailed due to fiscal constraints for tour guide presence at these after hours affairs.

3 comments:

RALPH LUCARELLA said...

HI TOM....ON MY WIFE'S BIRTH CERTIFICATE, THE LOCATION OF HER BIRTH WAS SOMEWHERE ON KUSER FARM. AT THAT TIME THE FARM WAS HOME TO MANY IMMIGRANTS. BEST REGARDS.

Tom Glover said...

RALPH, WHAT WAS YOUR WIFE'S MAIDEN NAME? I'D LIKE TO SEARCH THIS OUT.

TOM

RALPH LUCARELLA said...

TOM...HER MAIDEN NAME WAS SUCH, HER PARENTS WERE HUNGARIAN WITH A LAST NAME OF SZUCS. SHE DIED IN DEC OF 1998 AND I MISS HER VERY MUCH. MAY GOD BLESS HER AND MAY SHE REST IN PEACE.