Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

1915-1923 COLONIAL VOLUNTEER FIRE COMPANY

This was the fire company of my childhood. It was here that I and my 3rd grade Kuser School class went on a tour of that great old fire house which was then located on Liberty Street and Newkirk Avenue. I remember the fireman laughing when I asked him if that big bell hanging from a concrete arch was the Liberty bell. He told me it was from Trenton's City Hall. As can be seen in the two articles above, the need for a fire company was discussed back in 1915 and was really the beginning of negotiations for a fire company which 8 years later would become the Colonial Volunteer Fire Company; the name was chosen due to the fact that the new fire house would be built on land in the 1912   COLONIAL GARDENS TRACT.

No comments: