Search This Blog

Thursday, December 27, 2012

1949: CONSTRUCTION TO BEGIN ON NEW ST. ANTHONY CHURCH

Let me see.....I started out as a parishioner at St. Paul's P.E. on Centre Street church way back in 1939. Then it was on to St. James P.E. Church on Greenwood Avenue until the mid 1940's. Then, I was attracted to that little church on Liberty and Wesley in Hamilton where I stayed for a year or so and left after I felt that then Pastor Rev. Graham was rabidly anti-Catholic and stopped going there. Then, in the early 1950's when I married into an Irish Catholic family., I became a convert to the Roman Catholic faith. The Britton family's youngest daughter Judy became my wife and with the Brittons being among the first parishioners at St. Anthony's, I was impressed with their steadfast devotion to devotion and took "instructions" with then Father Leonard Toomey, the man who should have been a Bishop. Unfortunately, shabby treatment of our singing group "Wings of Song" led to our family moving on to Sacred Heart, which fittingly is the oldest parish in the state of New Jersey.

No comments: