Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

1945: IT WAS KNOWN AS "VJ DAY"

Bruce Sirak and  the Camp Olden Civil War Roundtable keep memories of the  Civil War alive.
My many friends from the Mayor's Patriotic Committee under the leadership of  Retired Colonel Frank Caprario of the U.S. Army, honors the memory of all of our U.S. military. In my  own quiet way and with little publicity, and even less public attention,  I have been honoring these heroes who gave their all  in service to their country. I still remember the sacrifice of the "Greatest Generation" with my music of the World War II era. Back in the early 1980's when I began bringing these memorial music programs to the public, there were still many WWII veterans with us. In the intervening years their ranks have been reduced at an alarming rate.At each of my programs, there has been at least one or two WWII veterans who proudly wear their baseball caps with their unit emblazoned for all to see. These are my personal heroes, and even after they are gone, I will continue to sing the songs not only from WWII, but also the Viet Nam and Korean conflicts. 
AS TO THE GRAPHIC, I WAS ONLY 12 YEARS OLD, BUT I DO REMEMBER THE ECSTATIC CELEBRATIONS THAT WENT ON NOT IN MY OWN RURAL K USER FARM NEIGHBORHOOD, BUT ALL OVER AMERICA. AS CAN BE SEEN IN THE PHOTO, DOWNTOWN TRENTON WAS THE SCENE OF UNBRIDLED EXUBERANCE.

No comments: