Search This Blog

Saturday, May 05, 2012

1933: RECALLING THE TRENTON POLICE IN THE 1890'S

This article has been seriously re-formatted. The original had text stretching from the top of the page to the bottom, and would not be legible if I tried to post it as published. Accordingly, I shortened the column, divided it into thirds and re-inserted the photo of the police officers. How austere the Trenton police department was back in that Victorian era! Eighteen hour days? Fifty dollars a month? Seven hundred dollars a year? WOW!

1 comment:

RALPH LUCARELLA said...

HI TOM....FOR THOSE OF US WHO DON'T KNOW THE MEANING OF AUSTERE, I'D SAY THEY WERE PAID VERY CHEAP. IN THOSE DAYS AND EVEN IN THE 30'S, CIVIL SERVICE PEOPLE WERE NOT WELL PAID. I STARTED IN THE POST OFFICE AT 65 CENTS AN HOUR AND THAT WAS A TOUGH JOB EMPTYING PARCEL POST SACKS AT NIGHT. I THANK GOD I WAS ABLE TO GET BACK ON THE LETTER CARRIER LIST AND TODAY I RECEIVE A PENSION THAT HELPS A LOT. REGARDS.