Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

1937: 413 EAST STATE STREET TRENTON



This excellent photo of East State Street shows the long gone Moose Hall which once occupied a space on E. State Street. I have enhanced the sign advertising a basketball game to be presented at the hall. Old timers will undoubtedly have stories to tell about that old sports arena.


Anonymous RALPH LUCARELLA said...


HI AGAIN TOM....YOU SEE THAT DINER ALONG SIDE THE MOOSE HOME, WELL THAT'S WHERE I HAD MY BREAKFAST EACH MORNING WHEN I WAS WORKING AT THE POST OFFICE ACROSS THE STREET DURING THE 1940'S AND 50'S. THE MOOSE HALL WAS WHERE THEY PLAYED THE FIRST PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL GAME. I'M TOLD. THEY PLAYED IN A CAGE WHERE THERE WERE NO OUT OF BOUNDS. THEY HAD TO DRIBBLE WITH 2 HANDS AND HAD A CENTER JUMP AFTER EACH BASKET. OUR EARLY PLAYERS WERE RUSTY SANDERS, AL COOPER AND GEORGE GLASCO AMONG OTHERS. BEST REGARDS


Tuesday, January 17, 2012


Very interesting, Ralph! Once again you are bringing Trenton's past into clearer focus and that is very much appreciated. In fact, all of you veteran Trentonians are really adding fabulous insights into our documenting local history.

Tom Glover


6 comments:

RALPH LUCARELLA said...

HI AGAIN TOM....YOU SEE THAT DINER ALONG SIDE THE MOOSE HOME, WELL THAT'S WHERE I HAD MY BREAKFAST EACH MORNING WHEN I WAS WORKING AT THE POST OFFICE ACROSS THE STREET DURING THE 1940'S AND 50'S. THE MOOSE HALLL WAS WHERE THEY PLAYED THE FIRST PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALLL GAME. I'M TOLD. THEY PLAYED IN A CAGE WHERE THERE WERE NO OUT OF BOUNDS. THEY HAD TO DRIBBLE WITH 2 HANDS AND HAD A CENTER JUMP AFTER EACH BASKET. OUR EARLY PLAYERS WERE RUSTY SANDERS, AL COOPER AND GEOPRGE GLASCO AMONG OTHERS. BEST REGARDS

Omad said...

Tom, which cross street is this near and which way are we looking, east or west? Been such a long time for me. Well over 60 years.

Michael said...

Omad:

The picture is looking east on State St. The cars would be approximately over the Trenton Freeway, and the street before you is Armory Drive.
Do you remember the great Grave Yard behind the Moose Hall?
Mercer Cemetary, held the remains of some very significant past members of our town.


Hope that Helps

Mike Kuzma

Michael said...

Omad, I mispoke like most old guys my eyes saw what it wanted to see, not what was there.


Mea culpa

Mike Kuzma

Omad said...

Mike, not sure what you meant for that last comment.

Michael said...

That's my Catholic upbringing.In Latin It means I am so sorry, forgive me, to paraphrase it.

Mike