Search This Blog

Thursday, August 25, 2011

1950 AND 1955: "BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES, HERE COMES IRENE!"

I have witnessed numerous "Super Storms" and Hurricanes in my 77 years of existence. I was was up in Fort Devens, Massachusetts when "Diane" hit, and I and my two fellow radio operators decided to head to Trenton in my buddy John Wilkie's 1941 Chevy. We had just dropped off Mike Byers in Yonkers, N.Y. and headed further south as Diane headed further north. Fortunately, the angels that God appoints to watch over G.I.'s was riding shotgun. We managed to reach our destination after 3 extra hours of travel over flooded streets. So here I am 56 years later, ready to batten down the hatches for Hurricane "Irene" who is predicted to brush up against the east coast.
From Ed Millerick, Thursday, August 25, 2011:
I remember "Diane" well, I was about seven and Dad took us around the town. I remember fireman evacuating folks on Front Street by boats and seeing Stacy Park under water. They were pumping out the State House too since the lower level was under water.
Anonymous Joe Lind said...

I remember that storm as well,I was 9 years old, My uncle lived on Green St and Delmoor Ave in Morrisville Pa, We had to rescue him from his roof by row boat.
The Yardley to Ewing bridge was also lost.
I don't know what is more nerve racking waiting for this storm or a Blizzard with 30 plus inches of snow.
What do you think?.

Friday, August 26, 2011
Delete

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe, I start to think about how much storms are hyped by the media. I does keep us glued to the set and I will start to think "same old, same old", but then remember 1955 and 62 and the loss of a few friends. That bridge that was lost was just about where the Yardley Inn stands wasn't it?

There is about 15 gallons of gas stored and the Honda generator is ready to go. For a ten minute ride it is worth the peace of mind. In Washington Crossing our house was the very last one on the JCP&L power grid and some storms kept us without lights or heat for a few days. Now imagine looking out and seeing the home right next door with lights and heat because they were PSE&G. Up here in Hunterdon it is rare to go more than a day without electricity but in an ice storm that little Honda is wonderful for peace of mind.

The little boy in me still loves a raging storm but I still respect what Mother Nature can dish out.

Ed Millerick

God speed and as much as nature will allow .. smooth sailing. That Glover fellow; seems to have a nice cut to his jib don't cha' think? A fine host he is so I'll hoist a mug of cyber rum to his Fandango. Cheers to you Capn' Glover!

Friday, August 26, 2011

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember "Diane" well, I was about seven and Dad took us around the town. I remember fireman evacuating folks on Front Street by boats and seeing Stacy Park under water. They were pumping out the State House too since the lower level was under water.

Ed Millerick

Joe Lind said...

I remember that storm as well,I was 9 years old, My uncle lived on Green St and Delmoor Ave in Morrisville Pa, We had to rescue him from his roof by row boat.
The Yardley to Ewing bridge was also lost.
I don't know what is more nerve racking waiting for this storm or a Blizzard with 30 plus inches of snow.
What do you think?.

Anonymous said...

Joe, I start to think about how much storms are hyped by the media. I does keep us glued to the set and I will start to think "same old, same old", but then remember 1955 and 62 and the loss of a few friends. That bridge that was lost was just about where the Yardley Inn stands wasn't it?

There is about 15 gallons of gas stored and the Honda generator is ready to go. For a ten minute ride it is worth the peace of mind. In Washington Crossing our house was the very last one on the JCP&L power grid and some storms kept us without lights or heat for a few days. Now imagine looking out and seeing the home right next door with lights and heat because they were PSE&G. Up here in Hunterdon it is rare to go more than a day without electricity but in an ice storm that little Honda is wonderful for peace of mind.

The little boy in me still loves a raging storm but I still respect what Mother Nature can dish out.

Ed Millerick

God speed and as much as nature will allow .. smooth sailing. That Glover fellow; seems to have a nice cut to his jib don't cha' think? A fine host he is so I'll hoist a mug of cyber rum to his Fandango. Cheers to you Capn' Glover!