Search This Blog

Friday, August 05, 2011

1922: ANTHONY R. KUSER'S GIFT TO NEW JERSEY

A few posts ago, I posted two photos of Kuser's Woods in Hamilton's Kuser Farm Park. A visitor who signed himself "Skip" sent a comments relating to High Point in Sussex County NJ. Skip's interesting insights make it obvious that he has been there and is familiar with that popular state park..
Skip wrote:
Well those Kusers certainly did so much good with their land the memories they left. I spent some of my best summers at the old Kuser Summer Camp which we now know as High Point State Park. The huge stone building that I lived in and had to myself is still standing, built solid and from native stone. Tom, that portion too was a CCC project so you should perhaps include that into your Conservation Corps legend and lure. The State was renting rooms in the old wooden "Estate House" that was demolished in the 1990's but that old stone building is still standing strong. High Point is such a treasure hidden in the farthest corner of the state and shows how far and wide the Kuser family reached out, one minute I was Trenton bound and the next thing I knew I was wandering the northern woods and getting paid to do it too, each evening was blessed by a sunset amid the scrub pines with a handful of wild blueberry. Skip
Thursday, August 04, 2011
Great retrospective, Skip. Many thanks.
Tom Glover

1 comment:

Ralph Lucarella said...

HI TOM...I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE A SMALL COMMENT ABOUT KUSER'S FARM. ON MY WIFES BIRTH CERTIFICATE THE PLACE OF BIRTH LISTED WAS "SOMEWHERE ON KUSER'S FARM". THIS WAS IN THE EARLY 20'S AND JUST SHOWED HOW WIDELY KNOWN THE FARM WAS. BEST REGARDS.