Search This Blog

Saturday, February 12, 2011

1926: MANY PROTESTING THE SITE OF THE NEW HAMILTON INCINERATOR

This would have been ten years before the Glover family moved to Hartley Avenue. At this juncture, I have not found succeeding articles relating to the opposition local neighbors lodged against the placing of the incinerator in the Patterson Avenue area. However, I do know that the residents' appeals to change the location were in vain. My buddy Don Slabicki and I made many trips to the incinerator when I worked for Fred and Edna Kuser. In fact, I remember the day when Don's dog "Rex" died. We carried him to the incinerator and cremated him in the huge underground oven that always burned brightly. (There was a very large steel manhole cover over the underground incinerator. A chain driven block and tackle with a huge hook on the end raised and lowered the cover.

No comments: