Search This Blog

Thursday, January 06, 2011

1987: TOM GLOVER ON MERCERVILLE SCHOOL

This year of 2011 will mark the 30th year I have been writing history and nostalgia for the local press. When I began writing in 1981 for the Mercer Messenger, I carefully piled each and every column in a box for storage. It wasn't too long before I realized that saving those columns was not practical and I abandoned the project. However, I have access to most of my past columns and will post some of them from a stack that is in my collection. These columns were written before I acquired a computer, and were transcribed from my old yellow lined paper, then typed into manuscript form, and hand-carried to Wayne Davis, my Messenger Editor at the Route 33 office in Mercerville. 

As I read these old columns, I realize that the transcribed information I recorded from the millions of pages in my Trenton newspaper collection, along with my friend and then-Superintendent Al DeMartin's, generous loan of the Hamilton Township Board of Education's meeting minutes, have combined to record little known history which is interesting to local readers in this year of 2011.

No comments: