Search This Blog

Thursday, January 06, 2011

1987: BETTY KAUFFMAN'S BETHEL LUTHERAN - EARL WILLIAMS' "DOGTOWN"

Over the many years I have been writing, I have found many new friends, and renewed many old acquaintances. The letter I received from Mrs. Kauffman was a particularly treasured contribution to my column, as she recalled her beloved Bethel Lutheran Church on Johnston Avenue in Hamilton through her talent as a poet. Mrs. Kauffman probably forgot that I met her way back during my years as a classmate of her son Kieth, one of my singing buddies in Miss Louise Baird's music class. Her husband, Henry was one of our favorite Hamilton High teachers. Unfortunately, I had Herb Griffiths as my science teacher, and Mr. Kauffman specialized in Chemistry......a subject far above my mental capacity.

2 comments:

Mack said...

And Liberty Street was once upon a time "Pond Run Road", something I remembered the minute she mentioned Pond Run:)

Ron Bound said...

Mr Henry Kauffman, still my favorite teacher to this day. Ron Bound