Search This Blog

Monday, January 24, 2011

1916:CLAIRE DWIER ZARR COMMENTS ON THE TRAGIC FIRE OF 1916



I had posted graphics on the tragic Chandler-Palruba fire in Yardville back in August. A recent guest book comment by Ms. Claire Dwier Zarr adds an historic comment to supplement the graphics and gives a personal flavor to the disaster. Claire wrote:

Hi Tom--Just catching up on some of your posts and read the post re: the Chandler Oilcloth Company explosion in Yardville, May 1916. My grandfather, Nimrod Dwier, was one of the injured that day. Growing up I had always heard about the explosion and that he had been seriously burned, but I didn't know all the details. It was very interesting to read the accounting of the explosion and to learn of the others who were injured or, sadly, succumbed to their injuries that day. After reading about it, one can just imagine how strongly the incident affected the residents in the Yardville/Groveville communities. I'm very grateful my grandfather made it through that terrible ordeal and lived long enough for me to get to know him!

No comments: