Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

1940: "SOUNDIES:" ANOTHER NOSTALGIC VISION FROM THE PAST

Lord, am I getting old! I remember those hi-tech "soundies" that Hollywood churned out back in the late 1930's and into the war years. Back before DVD's, MP3's, WMV's and other digital entertainment, old fogies such as I had to rely on 8 or 16 millimeter film. I had a huge collection of 16 millimeter movies back in the 1970's but they took up half a wall in my basement so I got rid of them. Within that collection there was a number of old fashioned, "Soundies;" including Duke Ellington, Fats Waller, and one that I particularly liked, Helen O'Connell.

1 Comment

Close this window Jump to comment form

Blogger Ralph Lucarella said...
WELL TOM, THERE AGAIN WE SHARED THE SAME THING. MY WIFE BOUGHT ME A BELL AND HOWELL MOVIE PROJECTOR IN 1940 AND I WAS SHOOTING EVERYTHING IN SIGHT. IN LATTER YEARS WE TURNED THEM INTO TAPES AND TODAY WE LOOK AT THE GOOD OLD DAYS ON EDINBURG ROAD AND THE TERRIFIC SNOW STORMS WE HAD IN THOSE DAYS. REGARDS.
Wednesday, October 27, 2010

1 comment:

Ralph Lucarella said...

WELL TOM, THERE AGAIN WE SHARED THE SAME THING. MY WIFE BOUGHT ME A BELL AND HOWELL MOVIE PROJECTOR IN 1940 AND I WAS SHOOTING EVEYTHING IN SIGHT. IN LATTER YEARS WE TURNED THEM INTO TAPES AND TODAY WE LOOK AT THE GOOD OLD DAYS ON EDINBURG ROAD AND THE TERRIFIC SNOW STORMS WE HAD IN THOSE DAYS. REGARDS.