Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

1934: SUNDAY "BLUE LAWS" ALIVE AND WELL

I find the above article astounding as I compare it the present state of our society as the moral fabric of our society has changed so dramatically over the years. Today's weekend relaxation efforts are in stark contrast to those years when the "Blue Laws" were in effect in Trenton and across the country. Those laws allowed no liquor, no dancing or public singing or other leisurely public events on Sunday. Rather than tailgating parties at football games, a Sunday movie, or any other innocent pleasurable event, in those years it was against the law; the Sabbath was deemed a day of rest devoid of any secular entertainment.
Blogger
Mack said...
Hi Tom:)
When I was a kid in the early 70s there were still some blue laws as I remember Two Guys in Bordentown was one of the few places nearby that was open because Burington County did not have blue laws:)

1 comment:

Mack said...

Hi Tom:)
When I was a kid in the early 70s
there were still some blue laws
as I remember Two Guys in Bordentown was one of the few places nearby that was open because
Burington County did not have blue
laws:)