Search This Blog

Saturday, August 14, 2010

1913: THE LEGENDARY NOTTINGHAM GHOST STORY

Even as Ichabod Crane had that headless horseman thing up in Sleepy Hollow, so too does Hamilton have the story of the ghost who frequented (past tense*) the deep woods off of Cypress Lane and White Horse-Mercerville Road. This file comes from my "PARANORMAL" folder which has numerous ghost stories told through the years and certainly there will be more such stories added to that file as my research continues.

*Past tense due to the fact that few know of that legendary lost treasure which still could be buried somewhere in those vast, deep, dark, poison ivy, skunk and ghost-infested woods!

AN INTERESTING ASIDE:
MR. WEST, WHO WAS THE MAN WHEN IT CAME TO LOCAL HAMILTON HISTORY, REFERS TO THE LLOYD FARM AND LLOYD ROAD, AS THE ORIGINAL FARMER WHO OWNED THE KUSER FARM ON KUSER ROAD (TODAY'S HOMESTEAD). THERE IS AN SERIOUS CONFLICT OF HISTORY HERE. THE KUSER FAMILY CLAIMED IT WAS THE TIMOTHY LORD FARM, NOT THE LLOYD FARM. TO ADD A BIT OF MYSTERY, I FIND THAT THERE WAS A "LLOYD ROAD" WAY BACK IN THE EARLY PART OF THE 19TH CENTURY AND IT WAS LOCATED IN THE SAME GENERAL AREA. NOW YOU KNOW HOW FASCINATING AND SOMETIMES CONFUSING HISTORIC RESEARCH CAN BE!
Anonymous Anonymous said...
I remember reading about another Hamilton ghost that allegedly was haunting the woods across the street from Grice Middle School. It might be the area where there is now a Rite Aid pharmacy (corner of White Horse Hamilton Square and Kuser roads). When I went to Grice, I think that area was all woods and kids who walked home in that direction would sometimes cut through those woods. I'm not positive, Tom, but I think that story might have appeared in Helen West's history book, which I haven't seen in probably 20 years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember reading about another Hamilton ghost that allegedly was haunting the woods across the street from Grice Middle School. It might be the area where there is now a Rite Aid pharmacy (corner of White Horse Hamilton Square and Kuser roads). When I went to Grice, I think that area was all woods and kids who walked home in that direction would sometimes cut through those woods. I'm not positive, Tom, but I think that story might have appeared in Helen West's history book, which I haven't seen in probably 20 years.