Search This Blog

Friday, February 19, 2010

1935: THE TRENTON FREEWAY AS IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN

I was only 2 years old when this event from the "STREETS-ROADS-HIGHWAYS" folder took place: The city of Trenton was in the early stages of planning the construction of a highway through the city of Trenton where the canal had flowed for years. We have come to know that highway as the "Trenton Freeway." Prior to the actual construction of the freeway, there was a suggestion that the freeway pass across East State Street and the Canal at a railroad crossing. As we all know, the road was tunneled under E. State Street and other cross streets. Notice the railroad crossing gates which were in place during the 1930's.

ONCE AGAIN, FROM ONE OF OUR MOST VALUABLE VISITORS, RALPH LUCARELLA, THIS INSIGHTFUL COMMENT ON THE GRAPHIC ABOVE.
Ralph is a senior who is a local treasure with memories that he has of the era of the 30's and upward.
Ralph: Your comments add valuable first person experiences and are very much appreciated.
Blogger Ralph Lucarella said...

Hi Tom: That's a good shot of the Post Office, where my brother and I worked until 1955 when we left to build the Hamilton Bowling Lanes. I can recall the time the freeway was built and also the canal that ran through there. They were great times for the city and the beginning of big changes in routes through out Trenton. I remember eating breakfast in the dinner across the street from the Post Office for 15 years,

Friday, February 19, 2010

3 comments:

Ralph Lucarella said...

Hi Tom: That's a good shot of the Post Office, where my brother and I worked until 1955 when we left to build the Hamilton Bowling Lanes. I can recall the time the freeway was built and also the canal that ran through there. They were great times for the city and the beginning of big changes in routes through out Trenton. I remember eating breakfast in the dinner across the street from the Post Office for 15 years,

SJBill said...

That pic is before my time, but I remember a few things of the Federal Building.

There were Military recruiting signs for each of the services out front on the sidewalk. They were made of sheet metal and hung from the top, so they swung back and forth as the wind blew.

In the lobby are was a refreshments stand with and owner was blind. He listened to the sounds of the coins as you dropped them onto a dish and added up the amount in his mind. He did not like the new coins made of cheap metal that didn't sound like the old silver dimes and quarters.

My favorite place in the building was up on the top floor and on the roof. That's where the local US Weather Bureau office was located. George Whitely worked there and did all the forecasting for the local area newspapers. He even had radio spots on WTTM or WBUD. I used to visit every now and again to study the methods of waether forecasting. Did I mention that Mr. Whitely was a great guy? He put up with inquisitive junior high school kids, didn't he?

Ralph Lucarella said...

Hi Bill: That guy in the lobby was something. He was blind but got around great, he was there for years. I tried to enlist in the Navy upstairs during the war but the post office people told me I could'nt do that and still be able to keep my job when I got back. I could have gotten a chief petty officer's rate if I enlisted at that time. After I was drafted, I ended up in the Fleet Post Office anyway.