Search This Blog

Thursday, February 18, 2010

1931: THE COLLEGE OF NEW JERSERY AKA TRENTON STATE TEACHERS' COLLEGE


Two years before I was born, that local institution of learning that my generation knew of as "State Teachers' College" was being built over in Ewing Township. My only contact with that august institution was way back in 1952 when I decided that I would like to attend the school and get a teaching degree majoring in history. Sadly. the $900 annual tuition plus text books was too much for the very limited Glover family budget and I had to find work to help the family add to the budget. To this day I regret that those moneys weren't available. As it turned out, I ended up spending over 40 years in in a dead end "mom and pop" job selling bearings and industrial machine parts which ultimately ended up in a "Chapter 11" bankruptcy as the two principals retired and turned the business over to their sons
.
NOTE: A VERSION OF THIS ARTICLE AND PHOTO WAS PUBLISHED BACK IN JULY 2007 (?). I HAVE DELETED THAT GRAPHIC, RE-FORMATTED IT, AND AM RE-POSTING IT HERE. I HAVE ALSO COPIED AND PASTED TOM REED'S ADDED INFO ON THE OLD NORMAL SCHOOL WHICH WAS A COMMENT ON THE ORIGINAL JULY POST..

TOM WROTE:

For a few years on Clinton Ave when it was known as the Normal School and before the new Grant School was built, the school area was one of our play areas

Tom Reed Miami FL
mimareed@aol.com

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tom - The graphic accompanying this blog is not here. I thought you should know. We were looking up the connection between the current College of New Jersey, Trenton State College, Trenton State Teachers College and Trenton Normal School and their subsequent dates. Thanks -
Lakeside Girl