Search This Blog

Thursday, January 21, 2010

1930's: HERE COMES VALENTINES DAY!

"When Valentines day is all over,
and lovers have all had their say,
I'll still go on loving you sweetheart,
a little bit more every day.."

Yep, I sent a valentine with that message on it to one of my very early teen age girlfriends, Millie Long. Millie was a sweetheart, and when people ask me how I remember all these very obscure things of many many years ago, I have to confess that it is a gift passed on to me to my brother Bud and me, and directly related to our inheriting Mom Glover's incredible memory which we both agree is a gift from God.
Now for a bit of trivia:
Trivia 1: Am I the only one who grew up in an era where we would go to the local "corner store," buy valentines for a penny each, take them home, address them and HAND DELIVER them to our neighborhood friends? We would slip them under the door and knock. (Few doorbells in our neighborhood). That custom is as extinct as the Passenger Pigeon.
Trivia 2: The "Valentine Box" in grammar school. We took a large cardboard carton, closed it up, wrapped it in white paper, cut a slot in it, pasted a big RED valentine on all 4 sides, sat back and waited for that special, or those special valentines from that special girl, or those special girls. (Ahhh; the memories!)

No comments: