Search This Blog

Monday, September 14, 2009

1929: THE NEW CRESCENT TEMPLE

This engraving is scanned from a six page feature from the September 7, 1929 edition of the Trenton Times. I have encapsulated the pages and stitched them together into booklet form. Back in the 1980's I was one of the tour guides for the Contemporary Club's annual "Four Views of Trenton" program. One of our stops was for lunch at this incredible place. A walk through the huge edifice seems to take one back to genuine antiquity. As I stood in the main hall and looked up, minarets and parapets, and other vestiges from what I perceived as middle eastern culture came to mind. On a trip to the balcony of the main auditorium, I noted that the rows of seats were very steep; not far from a 40 degree angle. What an incredible building, and a true treasure of Trenton architecture. Perhaps someone familiar with the building can bring us up to speed on the current status of the place. The last I heard, it became too expensive for the local lodges to maintain.

No comments: