Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

1916: POLISH-AMERICANS: POLONIA IN TRENTON


I spent the first 2 decades of my life with my best friend to this day, Don Slabicki. We actually grew from boyhood to manhood together. I have very pleasant memories of Don and his wonderful family. Memories of summer Polish cookouts at Don's Sylvan Avenue home will remain forever etched in my memory, as will the countless Polish picnics we neighborhood kids enjoyed at nearby Plaag's Grove. The fascinating article above tells of the heritage of these wonderful Americans who have gone a long way to make their mark in Trenton area history.

4 comments:

Mack said...

Hi Tom:)
I remember when parts of South
Trenton were very Polish and then
suddenly in the 90s they Vanished.
I attended Holy Cross for 2 years
before going over to Franklin and
Joining Immaculate. FATHER TED was
a nice man:)
St Hedwigs is MAGNIFICENT in
N Trenton:)

Tom Glover said...

HEY MACK:

FATHER TED WAS A WALKING SAINT. A TRUE HUMBLE MAN OF GOD.

TOM GLOVER

rayfromvillapark said...

Hi Tom, My understanding is that the Poles have the highest percentage of members of the Roman Catholic faith. More than any other country in the world. This might have changed recently, with the great increase of the Spanish population. The center of the Polish neighborhood, is the Church. When I was living with my grandmother on Woodland St., that neighborhood was mostly Eastern European, with the Polish, Slovak, German ethnicity's being the majority. My family has belonged to Holy Cross Church for the past 90 years or more. In one of your articles, a 1930s photo is shown of the Holy Cross choir, and my aunt Mary is in the second row.
My uncle Ed was an usher for many years. Lots of memories surrounding Holy Cross, especially the very elaborate flower displays during Christmas and Easter. A very beautiful Church. Father Ted was a good man, but I also have fond memories of Monsignor Kasprowicz.
rayfromvillapark

Tom Glover said...

Hey Ray:
It's added commentary such as yours in which you detail you and your family's involvement in the Polish experience that makes this web site and all the work worthwhile. Thank you for an interesting insight. I hope you visit often,

Tom Glover