Search This Blog

Friday, August 28, 2009

1938: WETZEL FIELD IN WINTER

As a baseball fan of the Yankees for over 50 years, I always dislike that period from the October World Series, through the long winter to early Spring Training. Here's a 71 year old view of Trenton's fabled Wetzel field, lookin oh, so forlorn as the dormant outfield greens awaits the call of "Play Ball!" As indicated in an earlier post, Wetzel Field was the home field of the old Trenton High School on Hamilton Avenue. It was named for Dr. William A. Wetzel, a noted Trenton educator, and first Principal of Trenton High School.

1 comment:

Ralph Lucarella said...

Hi Tom: That was a beautiful grandstand. Wetzel was probably the best ball field in the city at that time. I spent most of my time as a young kid at the field. The city built an outstanding playground in the center field corner of the field. Everything I learned about baseball was taught to me by people I knew around Wetzel. I would be out there almost every day shagging ground balls before each game.