Search This Blog

Friday, August 28, 2009

1928: MARATHON DANCERS FROM WOODLAWN PARK

I consider these postcard photos treasures in my collection. As popular as Woodlawn Park was back in the 1920's and 30's, finding original photos from the place are as elusive as finding definitive information on Hamilton's Camp Olden. For those who are not familiar with "Marathon Dancing." Couples entered the contest. Let the dancing begin! The winning couple was the couple who continued dancing, and had to stay on their feet as long as they were physically able. Many experienced marathon dancers could actually nap while still maintaining an upright dancing position.

2 comments:

Ralph Lucarella said...

Hi Tom: I sure remember Woodland Park. I was just a kid but remember when Ted Lewis and his orchestra played there. He was famous for the song"Me And My Sahdow". My sister was in a dance contest called The Black Bottom. Ha Ha, I wonder how many remember that dance. The swimming pool at the park remained long after the park closed.

Don Whiteley said...

I recall marathon dances but also 6 day bike races on an indoor track I attened one at Wildwood in the late 1930's. Don't know if they had any in Hamilton area.
Don Whiteley