Search This Blog

Monday, April 27, 2009

1993: DELICIOUS EATERIES: READ THE LOWER GRAPHIC FIRST


See the note from Mike Kuzma regarding the "55 gallon drum" I described in error. Thanks for the correction, Mike, I never was a grilling and barbecue expert.


Above are two articles I wrote a number of years ago; read the lower one first in order to maintain the proper continuation. The articles recall many, but not all of the places we took our dates, or in the case of Del Rio, where went after dropping off our dates and meeting at Del Rio for a burger and fries taking our at the Marble round table which Carl DeAngelo reserved for "The Knights of the Round Table." Here's a mini-glimpse at "Dirty Bill's," over near the bridge at Yardley. And Mack, you asked about Dirty Bill's being a breakfast place. I don't think I can verify that. All I remember was his "stand" was right along the road from Morrisville to Yardley in a room that was apparently a sun porch at some time. As I recall, he cooked on a grill which was fashioned out of a 55 gallon drum cut in half vertically, and laid horizontally with a grill on top. I don't know whether he served breakfast, but I don't think he did....at least when we were regulars there. His hot dogs were incredibly tasty....talk about "betcha can't eat just one!"

A CORRECTION FROM MIKE KUZMA:
It was not a 55 gallon drum cut in half on which "Filthy William" did his thing. It was a large cast iron cauldron on which he grilled. Since I had a few similar type cauldrons, I remember it vividly.Many a day I stood by as he grilled, and put the "Works" on the dog. This included his wife's homemade relish, and that thin sliver of pickle.

Mike Kuzma
Newport News VA.

5 comments:

Mack said...

I think Dirty Bill's became
"Charcoal Steaks and things" but
we still called it Dirty Bill's.

Charcoal S&T did indeed serve breakfast..or might still serve
breakfast...maybe they never did breakfast when it was bills.

I dont remember what year the place
changed from bills to charcoal:)

Mack said...

Oh and I love everything done
over a charcoal grill:)
hot dogs, hamburgers, pork roll,
chicken, ribs...
That charcoal grill smell :))))

JoeZ said...

Tom: Loved Del Rio's for their steaksanwich basket and a nice cocktail on a cold night near the fireplace. Old Heidelberg was another and one of Rosemary's and my favorites was the LaGondola. You guys are making me hungry.

Anonymous said...

It was not a 55 gallon drum cut in half on which "Fithy William" did his thing. It was a large cast iron cauldron on which he grilled.
Since I had a few similar type cauldrons, I remember it vividly.
Many a day I stood by as he grilled, and put the "Works" on the dog. This included his wife's homemade relish, and that thin sliver of pickle.

Mike Kuzma
Newport News VA.

Anonymous said...

Mike is right. Many nights I waited for a Dirty Bill Hot Dog in the 50's. Miss those days. Remember, it was only Filthy William's on Sunday.

Bob Kusnirik
Absecon, NJ