Search This Blog

Monday, April 20, 2009

1964: LOU'S HOME MOVIES

Back in the mid 1940's my buddy Don Slabicki and I made frequent visits to Lou Kozak's shop to see if we could get any 16 millimeter film from Lou's cutting room floor. That visit required us to walk from Sylvan Avenue, over to Cedar Lane, up, then down Cedar Lane hill to Chambers Street, two or three blocks on Chambers Street to Lou's little corner shop at 1350 Chambers. We couldn't afford the steep price for a reel of Castle Film's "News Parade of 1944," and other very expensive 16 millimeter movies. Lou had a very extensive stock of movies, but they were meant for the guys with the professional "Kodak," Bell and Howell, and other motion picture projectors. Lou had a large table in the show room where he sold defective and outdated movies. Many of our purchases were incomplete, but we didn't really care. Don and I each had one of those basic projectors for kids. Mine was an "Excel," and Don's was a "Keystone." What memories! I can still recall running those movies in Don's basement of his 914 Sylvan Avenue home. We watched Ken Maynard, Felix the Cat, Betty Boop, and other 16 MM films long forgotten!

4 comments:

Mack said...

I have added a picture of this
place and a post about it on my
blog:)
2 other camera shops I remember:
Jimmies of course on hudson, and
a green bulidng on dayton and howell streets.. I forget the name
of that one:)

Candy Frenking Jens said...

Was the bulldog there when you visited? He used to sit at the front door, and looked dangerous. Only dog I was too afraid to pet!

Anonymous said...

Hi all, this was my Pop-pops camera shop. The bulldog's name was Slugger, he looked mean but I don't think he actually was. He was my Mother's dog, Barbara Kocsak-Scully. My Pop-pop used to send looney tunes for our school, Homedell Elementary, to run on our birthdays! The kids loved it and I loved him! He taught me how to play poker while minding the store. Miss you Pop-pop, xoxoxo Tami Scully Savino

JoeB said...

Did you know that Jimmie worked for Lou's prior to opening his own store on Hudson St.