Search This Blog

Monday, March 23, 2009

THANKS, TOM REED



Tom Reed has been a glover320.blogspot.com visitor since the very beginning. Tom is also the nephew of legendary fire fighter "Cap" Dempster. Thanks for this interesting photo, Tom. Thanks also for your support. If there are any former Trenton "Goose Town" residents who visit this site, Tom would like to hear from you.
TOM: ABOVE IS A PHOTO OF A GENTLEMAN STANDING ON A BRIDGE AT REED'S MILL ON QUAKER BRIDGE ROAD. MAYBE THIS IS PHOTO IS NAMED FOR YOUR FAMILY. I AM ALSO INCLUDING A PHOTO OF THE DAM BREAK AT REED'S MILL. I THOUGHT THAT THESE REEDS MAY BE RELATIVES.

Tom writes:


Tom,

I'm sending a picture of a family reunion at Grand pop James Reed's farm in Hamilton, taken in the early 1930's. That's me on Mom's lap in the left front. The tall man in the white shirt in the back row is Uncle "Cap" Dempster whom the Mercer County Fire School/Museum is named for. Beyond the fence is a cemetery. In my trips to Trenton, I've stopped many times at the Hamilton Tax office to try to look up the location of the property, but everyone was always very busy. G'pop sold it in the later 1930's and it may be part of one of the cemeteries now.

2 comments:

SJBill said...

LCDR John T. Dempster was a WW-II era submariner.

I met him at the close of his Navy career. I belive he was CO or the NAvy reserve Surface Division 4-64 in about 1964. I raised my right hand to LCDR Dempster as I took the oath of Enlistment.

I have his signature on my enlistment papers, and he retired shortly thereafter.

Really a great guy! Very happy I met him. I heard of his passing through the Naval Submarine League.

BZ, Skipper! ;-)

Anonymous said...

My name is John Bernardo. I believe the Reed family knew my grandfather Cosmos Bernardo who farmed 300 acres of produce across Quaker Bridge Road from what would become their sod farm. Grandpa's farm was where the WalMart retail center and surrounding condos are now. I know my father spoke of being close friends with the Reed boys. But I don't recall their names. I recall grandpa's farmhouse being a big white house (to a small little boy at the time I saw it) with a fireplace in each room and a wonderful split staircase in the main foyer. It was later disassembled and relocated somewhere by others. Not sure where! If you care to respond with any info on your knowledge of my family or the farm, please write to jbernardo@woh.rr.com
Thanks! God Bless you for your dedication to put this historical blog together!
John B