Search This Blog

Friday, February 20, 2009

DATE? MAPLE SHADE SCHOOL: GOODBYE, OLD FRIEND

What sad days they were, as the wrecking ball demolished still another grammar school. Along with Farmindale, White Horse's Maple Shade grammar school lives on in the memory of many of the alumni who are still with us. Thankfully, many of the early 20th century grammar schools have survived the wrecker's ball, with community and municipal personnel maintaining them.

CAN ANYONE ASSIST ME WITH DATING THE PHOTO ABOVE?
Tom - 1975 or 1976 is as close as I can come to an approximate year of Maple Shade's demolition. I substituted in Maple Shade when my son was in first grade at another school, and he was born in 1969.Lakeside Girl
Friday, February 20, 2009

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom - 1975 or 1976 is as close as I can come to an approximate year of Maple Shade's demolition. I substituted in Maple Shade when my son was in first grade at another school, and he was born in 1969.
Lakeside Girl

Anonymous said...

I would guess later than 1975 or 1976. I would have said early 1980s or possibly the tail end of the 70s. I was born in late 1973 and have vivid memories or driving past the school as my mom took me to visit my grandparents, who lived off of Arena Drive. It probably wouldn't be too hard to find out when the current structure there was built.

Anonymous said...

My family moved in to a house directly across the street in mid 84' and it was just an empty lot back then. From what neighbors have told me the school was torn down around 78 or 79.

Anonymous said...

The school was torn down toward the end of 1976. The 75-76 school year was the last year it was used. 9th graders were in the last year at the middle schools. The 76-77 school year was the first year that 6th graders started going to the middle schools and 9th graders entered the high schools. I was in 10 grade during the 76-77 school year.

Tom Glover said...

MANY THANKS TO THE ANONYMOUS RESPONDERS WHO ADDED VALUABLE HISTORIC INFO ON THE LATE, GREAT, MAPLE SHADE SCHOOL. YOU HAVE ADDED VALUABLE FACTS TO THE HISTORY OF HAMILTON TOWNSHIP!

TOM GLOVER

Tom Glover said...

MY THANKS TO THE MANY "

Anonymous said...

I worked the summer of 1976 as one of the summer program ran by the township. The building was still a school then.