Search This Blog

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Mike Kuzma Remembers

Thanks to Mike Kuzma for the following email. Mike is a regular visitor to this website. This is a very interesting look back as Mike recalls his youth as a resident of South Trenton, and an accomplished equestrian.
==========+++++++++++=========
Good Morning:
Seeing the photo of the "William Trent House brought back such memories! I was born on the third floor of 116 Fall St., our back yard was within a 100 feet of the wall surrounding this local landmark. In the 1930's, Abe Swan and his family were the caretakers. Abe I think went on to become a City Commissioner in Trenton. Their son Paul was a buddy of my brother Ed, and I had unfettered access to the spacious Trent house grounds to play. The grounds were bounded by Warren St. and Bloomsbury St. Across from the Trent house on Bloomsbury St. was an alley adjacent to the "Princeton Worsted Mills" In this alley, the local Jewish merchants who sold from their wagons, collected rags, and whatever, kept their horses. This alley ran right through to the River Rd. (Rt. 29) which at that time had a vast expanse of grass running along the tide wall.
At night, my brother in law Joe Bastecki and I would sneak the horses out and play Cowboys along the river. Those poor merchants could never understand why their horses were so tired for the next day's work.
This was the precursor to my Cowboy Days with Carney (Carney Rose, "The Champion" rodeo rider) who ran the hack stable where the Hamilton Sewer Plant is today. The photo of the White City park steps reminded me of the many years spent taking "Greenhorns" for trail rides around the White City Lake. My love for horses continued throughout my life as I kept a string of show horses at my farms in Ringoes. Most recently I toured the Gettysburg Battle site on horseback.
As always, it is so great of you to put forth effort to allow us oldsters to enjoy the memories of our youth.
Sincerely
Mike Kuzma

No comments: