Search This Blog

Saturday, January 31, 2009

2009: SAVE EWING PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH!

How very helpless I, and the average citizen feel when we read about the possibility of losing still another local historic treasure. The president's "stimulus package" should include the funds to help preserve some of America's endangered and truly historic treasures. Ewing Presbyterian Church is certainly one of them. The years have taken their toll on that majestic edifice in Ewing Township. Thank heavens for folks like Ms. Kull and her like-minded historical preservation activists, who are doing their very best to find a way to save that sacred historic treasure from the wrecker's ball. Helen sent this email which has a link to access the URL. Go to http://www.ewingpresfund.us/ and check it out. Many thanks, Helen for being a visitor to this website, a reader of "Sentimental Journey" and an avid historic preservationist.

HELEN WROTE:
Hi, Tom -
I've read your columns in the Times for years and have loved learning fascinating bits of history about the area I've now lived in for 30 years. Seeing the recent article about the website, I'm just amazed at this labor of love you have created! But I especially appreciate the immense breadth of your work, as I have been recently involved in documenting (just!) the history of the Ewing Presbyterian Church as it has celebrated its 300th anniversary - and I thought that was a big job! And now, I am also heading up a joint community-congregation campaign to help raise funds to keep the church's 1867 sanctuary - a great, striking landmark on Scotch Road - from being demolished. Interested folks can visit the church website at http://www.ewingpresfund.us, to find out more about this effort if they wish. Please keep up the great work and service you provide to all of us who love the rich history of the central Jersey area. Thank you so much for your tireless efforts.

Helen Kull

Hi Tom -

Oh, you've made my day! Thank you so much for posting our (Ewing Presbyterian Church's) situation and website on your home page - I KNOW it is seen by so many in the area who share concern and love for the area's many rich and varied treasures - and they are the ones who most likely can help us in our effort to raise funds. It is a huge uphill battle, especially in this economy, but I truly believe that if we reach enough people who know/have known the area and/or this particular building, together we may reach the goal! At the very least, we MUST try! Receiving a message of support like yours below helps me keep the faith that we will.

I can't thank you enough for your support. If there's anything I can provide you with, please let me know; or if you have any other suggestions for the effort, I'm all ears!

Most appreciatively,
Helen Kull

No comments: