Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

1937: TRENTON CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL

Has someone actually suggested that this building be torn down and replaced by another facility? I am in no way and expert on architectural engineering, but everyone I speak with look at that classic and historic structure and the very first thing that comes to our collective minds is a question that only an architectural expert can answer: Recognizing the fact that the building exterior is in need of roof repairs, soffits, etc., Why on earth would the option of tearing the building down be considered as a solution? It would cost millions of dollars to replicate the exterior structure on that historic building. Instead of destroying an important part of Trenton's history, why not tear down the interior of the building and build from the inside out? Leave the superstructure in place, and re-design the interior to accommodate whatever is required for a state-of-the-art educational institution. As I indicated above, I'm in no way an expert, but I must admit, I'm at a loss to understand the logic of bringing the wrecker's ball into play.

THIS COMMENT FROM SALLY LOGAN GILMAN:
Hi Tom: I can't imagine anyone advocating razing Trenton High. I graduated in 1955 and just loved the place. The architecture is so wonderful and nothing could replace it. It must need some work, as you suggested, but to destroy it would be a crime. I can't believe that the city has outgrown the building because I'm sure enrollment has declined. It would be much cheaper to update than to erect a new building. Nothing could take it's place.
As always, thanks for all the work you do, Tom.
Sally Logan Gilman

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom:
I think the theory is that it would cost more to upgrad the school then build a new one. You can check the paper better then I, and I am sure that was why they wanted to build a new school.

Tom Glover said...

THANKS, ANONYMOUS. I WOULD HAVE TO SEE HOW THEY FIGURE THAT ONE OUT. I'M GLAD HABITAT FOR HUMANITY AND OTHER RESTORERS OF OLD CITY STRUCTURES OPTED TO REBUILD FROM THE INSIDE OUT INSTEAD OF DEMOLISHING THE STURDY WALLS ON ALL THOSE HUNDRED YEAR OLD HOMES THEY RESTORE. AS I INDICATED, I AM NOT AN ARCHITECTURAL ENGINEER. I AM ONE OF THOSE FOLKS WHO WATCHES IN RAPT ADMIRATION AS I SEE WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO BUILDINGS SUCH AS THE EXTON CRACKER BUILDING ON CENTRE STREET IN SOUTH TRENTON.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

As you may be aware, the State’s School Development Authority has proposed that the massive Trenton Central High School be largely demolished and replaced by a new 300,000 sf facility. As part of the proposal, they would keep the clock tower as an entry into a new stadium, and athletic fields would replace the two adjoining wings- see above.

A group of Trenton residents have come together to propose an alternative approach for a modern High School facility for Trenton. Our proposal saves close to $18 Million over the State’s preferred proposal AND would be ready for full occupancy at the same time as the preferred state option. Even more importantly, our approach is much more environmentally responsible. By modernizing much of the existing facility, we would save roughly 130,000 metric tons of embodied carbon of the existing structure (that’s equivalent to the yearly emissions of 25,000 cars). Most important, our plan would ensure that Trenton high school students would experience quality architecture and high quality facilities (while keeping one of our greatest landmark buildings). Rather than designing a prison-like concrete block facility, this proposal raises the bar for High School educational facilities and seeks to inspire and elevate the students and faculty. Our plan is called the “Better High School Plan for Trenton” or BHSPT.

The district has been kind enough to give us an opportunity to present this proposal 6:30 Wednesday night at the Trenton Board of Education building (followed by the SDA and the preferred state scheme). If you are comfortable with it, would you please post this info on your blog to help rally people to the meeting. I truly hope it is not too late to change the minds of our district and our State Officials. In this tough economy, and with the budget crisis facing our State, I would hope the cost savings alone would be enough to merit consideration…

Thanks again, and keep up the great blog!

Stephen Doyle
228 Mercer Street
Trenton, NJ

Unknown said...

Mr. Glover,

I am the first person to say that I know very little about the financial burden that TCHS has placed on the city of Trenton.

I do know, however, that TCHS is a historical landmark. The current campus was opened for students in 1932. For 77 years students have graced the hallways of this architectural beauty.

To see now that the school is fallen under hard times is very disconcerting. However, I would be very flippant if I saw them destroy this school and build a brand new one. It would be a terrible decision and one that is irreversible. Too few historic landmarks are left in Trenton and this would be truly missed.

-Laura