Search This Blog

Monday, September 29, 2008

1946: Tiefenbach-Yetter: Kaiser Frazer Dealers

What pleasant memories this ad brings! I was just coming of age when Henry J. Kaiser went into the business of building automobiles. The Kaiser and the Frazer were the the object of my affection back in 1946 when the beautiful cars were on display over on Chambers Street. For some reason, I always had a yearning to own an "off brand" car. The standard myth back then was that those "off brands" were poor on trade in value. It was a myth. Over the years, I had lust in my heart for a Nash "Air Flyte," a 1947 Studebaker, A Hudson "step down" model, a Packard "Custom," and of course, the relative newcomers illustrated above. However, with prices in the range of $1,000 to $1,500, I just kept humming that old song, "My Dreams are Getting Better All the Time."

2 comments:

rayfromvillapark said...

Tom, I believe this building is still standing at the corner of Chambers St and Genesee St. It is a triangular shape. The front door to the showroom was at the very narrow front of the building and the showroom widened as you went farther into the building. It didn't last very long as a dealership. I believe another K-F franchise was later established on Route 130/206 in the southbound lane. That building is still there and last was Lubik Oldsmobile.
Tiffenbach and Yetter had a used car lot on S. Broad St,near the power lines, which would be across from the mall, on the northbound side. I think there was a White Castle or White Tower restaurant next to this location. In 1957, they managed to obtain a French Citroen franchise. These were extraordinary cars with a pneumatic suspension, superb soft seating and plush carpeting and a very low center of gravity. Unfortunately, this didn't last very long either.

Tom Glover said...

Thank again for the informed info you have added to this graphic. It is really wonderful to have additional information included in the numerous posts on my blog. You brought back a number of names and marques which I had forgotten about....especially Lubik Olds! Thanks for the input.

Tom Glover