Search This Blog

Sunday, April 06, 2008

REMEMBERING SCHOOL EMERGENCY ESCAPES

THANK YOU, RON BOUND FOR SENDING IN THIS INTERESTING PHOTO OF AN UNKNOWN SCHOOL WHICH IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ESCAPE CHUTE IN THE EVENT OF AN EMERGENCY EVACUATION. THE LOCATION OF THE SCHOOL IS UNKNOWN AS IS THE NAME, BUT I SEEM TO REMEMBER SOME SCHOOLS GOING THAT WAY BACK DURING THE COLD WAR OF THE 50'S WHEN KIDS WERE BEING TAUGHT TO HIDE UNDER THEIR DESKS IN THE EVENT OF A NUCLEAR ATTACK.
A SUBSEQUENT EMAIL FROM GARY LIPPINCOTT SHEDS LIGHT ON THE ESCAPE CHUTE. THANKS, GARY. (http://www.grovevillememories.blogspot.com)
================================
GARY WRITES:
A little information I found.
The picture of the school with the chute is the Maxwell Public School in Maxwell, Nebraska. It was built in 1912.
These fire escape chutes were common in many Pennsylvania elementary schools during the 1930s and 1940s and perhaps earlier. Before a fire drill, one or two boys would slide down the chute sitting on a piece of burlap to clean out the dirt accumulated since the chute was last used.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

TG said...

TO SEND A COMMENT:
1 CLICK ON "0 COMMENT"
2 TYPE YOUR COMMENT IN THE SPACE PROVIDED
3 CHOOSE "NAME/URL"
4 TYPE YOUR NAME (LEAVE "URL" BLANK)
5 CHOOSE "PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT"
CONTACT ME (THOMGLO@VERIZON.NET) IF THIS DOESN'T WORK.

Anonymous said...

Why was my comment removed? It certainly was not improper. All I asked was just where this building was located.

Tom Glover said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tom Glover said...

MARCIA: YOUR COMMENT WASN'T REMOVED. PLEASE RE-CHECK THE ROEBLING POST. ALSO, WHEN YOU POST A COMMENT, DO NOT CHECK "ANONYMOUS." TYPE IN YOUR NAME.
On Aug 29, 9:35 am, Big Ed wrote:

> I have a comment that is only a user name (i.e., bjones). How can I
> reply to her comment? Thanks.

If your readers post anonymously, you can't contact or email them.
You'll have to reply to a comment with another comment.

Anonymous said...

I have NEVER checked anonymous. I always check Name/URL. Geez!!!

Tom Glover said...

MARCIA:
I'M REALLY SORRY FOR ALL THE PROBLEMS YOU ARE HAVING. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO RESPOND BUT THE EMAILS I SEND COME BACK WITH THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE:
Marcia"Omad" noreply-comment@blogger.com
This is done to protect the sender from receiving spam. Please send me your regular email address and I'm sure we can straighten out this problem.
TOM

Anonymous said...

Here is my e-mail address

omad644@aol.com

think the mix up is settled i did send another comment on the Roebling house

love your site

don't know why they list anonymous for a check off when they will delete the anonymous sender - kinda confusing

skterry@sbcglobal.net said...

re: Maxwell public school.
My great grandfather Silas Clark from Maxwell was the architect for the school. He also built his own home. I do have a picture of his home.