Search This Blog

Thursday, February 14, 2008

1950: THE PLYMOUTH: NOW EXTINCT

HOW WELL I REMEMBER THAT AUTOMOTIVE FOURSOME BACK IN THE 40'S AND 50'S: PLYMOUTH, DODGE DESOTO AND CHRYSLER! ONE OF THE SADDEST EVENTS OF THE CENTURY WAS AMERICA'S AUTOMOTIVE MANUFACTURING DECLINE. I REMEMBER BACK IN 1949 OR SO, WHEN SIMCA, OPEL, DATSUN, AND OTHER FOREIGN AUTOS BEGAN TO COME IN TO AMERICA. I DIDN'T KNOW IT THEN, BUT IT WAS THE BEGINNING OF THE END FOR HUDSON, NASH, KAISER-FRAZER, AND PACKARD. THE GAS PRICES CAN'T BE SEEN IN THIS PHOTO, BUT I WOULD GUESTIMATE THAT IF THEY WERE, YOU WOULD SEE THAT IT WAS 19.9 PER GALLON! HOW DO I KNOW? THAT WAS THE ERA WHEN I WAS OF "CRUSING" AGE. YOU DO REMEMBER CRUISING, DON'T YOU?

THIS BEAUTIFUL PHOTO OF THE 49 PLYMOUTH CAME TO ME COURTESY OF BOB BALLANTINE, A NEW FOUND HAM RADIO FRIEND WHO RECALLED THIS VEHICLE FROM HIS YOUNGER YEARS AS A TRENTON AREA RESIDENT. THANKS BOB!

This correction from visitor Ray Paszkiewicz:
Hi Tom, I left some comments in your Automobilia section of your blog. Specifically, the Kaiser Frazer piece and the Graham Hollywood piece. I am very interested in automobile subjects, as related to Trenton, NJ, as well as automobiles in general. I have made some comments in Mack's Truck blog as well. I am Ray Paszkiewicz, also known as rayfromvillapark.

PS Tim Kuser and I go back many years. One last thing, I did not comment on, the 1949 Plymouth, last subject in the Automobilia section, is actually a 1950 model. I grew up in Trenton and have many fond memories and stories, but I am saddened by what has happened to the town.

THANK YOU, RAY!

No comments: